Leisure and Tourism
Long-term outlines of schemes
Unit one, the controlled assignment worth 60% will be completed during Year 10. This is internally marked before being externally moderated. Pupils complete four modules, each of which is allocated approximately 30 hours of preparation time with the final document being written up under examination conditions. The titles for 2014/15 are
- Investigate the range of purpose built or natural visitor attractions in a selected area
- Produce an itinerary for a family with children or a couple, using a set budget
- Investigate the range of jobs within either a leisure or travel industry in a chosen area
- Investigate gaps in the leisure or tourism industry in a chosen area and make recommendations for improvement.
Unit two, the examination is sat in June of Year 11 and is worth 40%. Pupils will be asked questions on
- Why people travel
- Types of transport
- Types of tourism destinations
- The appeal of tourism destinations
In addition they will study three areas in detail, one UK, one European and one from the wider world and answer questions related to them
- wjec.co.uk (search Leisure and Tourism GCSE) lists all the criteria, sample assessment materials and case study material useful for the examination.
- The school intranet has an electronic copy of the text book available for pupils
- Pupils are advised to keep up to date with world events on the news and the impact different events have on the travel, leisure and tourism industry.